IMPORTANT COURT NOTICE – COVID-19
Pursuant to the Wisconsin Supreme Court order that our courts remain open, the Columbus Municipal Court WILL conduct hearings as scheduled, however court appearances will be by PHONE ONLY. Please check the upper left corner of your citation to see if your appearance is REQURIED. If not, you may avoid court by paying the deposit noted on the citation and a No-Contest verdict will be entered against you. Defendants who do not appear will be found guilty by default.
- To appear via telephone simply contact the Municipal Court Clerk PRIOR to the date & time shown on your citation, by calling (920)623-5922 or emailing: email@example.com. Please provide your full name, address, email address, citation number and a phone number where you can be reached. You will be contacted to verify your information and be put on the schedule for an Initial Appearance by phone. These will take place starting at the date and time shown on your citation.
- If you wish to plead Not Guilty you may do so in advance by phone, mail or email. Please read the Plea Option descriptions below.
You will be advised of the charge(s) against you and potential penalties. You will be asked to enter a plea. Your Plea Option choices are:
- Not Guilty – You believe you have not violated the ordinance. Your case will be set over for trial at a later date at which time the Municipality must prove its case by clear and convincing evidence. Prior to trial you will be assigned a pre-trial conference with the Municipal Attorney to see if you can resolve your case satisfactory to this Court without holding a trial. The Court Clerk will provide you the pre-trial information via mail or email.
- Guilty – You accept responsibility for your actions, or
- No-Contest – Similar to guilty, but you’re not admitting personal liability - which could have been used against you in cases where bodily injury or property damages are claimed.
In both Guilty and No-Contest pleas you will have the opportunity to make a statement after which the judge will review your case, and factors including your statement, the officer’s statement and any prior record, before rendering judgement. Forfeitures will be due immediately; however, you may be granted time to pay or alternate arrangements if indigent. Payments must be made by mail or online at the City of Columbus Official Website > Residents > Court > Payment Information > Pay Online.
Initial Appearances are held the 3rd Wednesday of the month. Adult citations will be addressed starting at 2 PM. Juvenile citations will be addressed starting at 3:30 PM. Juvenile proceedings are closed to the public and parent or guardian participation is REQUIRED (must be present during phone calls).
Defendants may be granted a continuance if requested, which can be done by mail, email, or phone. Defendants must advise the Court in writing within 5 days of any change in address while their case is pending, and may retain an attorney at their own expense.
Questions may be directed to the City Municipal Court Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone
(920) 623-5922. Thank you for your patience and understanding.