Public Works FAQ

What should I know about garbage and recycling collection?

Columbia County Recycling and Solid Waste handles the residential garbage collection within the City of Columbus, Wisconsin. Residents looking to set up collection service should contact the city at (920) 623-5900. 

The city uses standard size waste and recycling carts for automated collection. Residents who have not been issued these carts should call Public Works at (920) 623-5908. 

What should I know before doing any digging?

Digger’s Hotline is a free service that you use before you do any kind of digging to make sure you don’t damage underground lines. Call them at least three working days before you start digging and they will help you avoid costly or dangerous buried lines.

Phone: 811 or (800) 242-8511


I have a problem I would like to report, whom do I contact?

Your Public Works Department strives to provide the best service possible to residents and businesses. To achieve this we ask that if you report any infrastructure problems or if you see an unsafe condition please report it by contacting the Public Works Department at (920) 623-5908.

Our staff is on call and able to respond to emergency situations 24 hours per day/7 days per week.