Brush and Leaf Pickup
The Department of Public Works will pick up brush (tree branches) during the 1st full week of each month (weather permitting) April through October. Place your tree branches on the terrace for pickup by 7 a.m. on Monday. Please remember the following rules apply:
- Tree limbs shall be 8 inches in diameter or less and a maximum of 10 feet in length.
- Twigs and branches less than 1 inch in diameter should be kept with grass clippings Brush shall be free of dirt, roots, and not have any metal or nails.
- The department of public works allots approximately 15 minutes of work by a 2 person crew for brush removal at each residence. If the estimated amount of work needed to remove debris from the terrace exceeds 15 minutes the resident or property owner will be notified by the director of public works of their options to remove the remaining brush, containers, leaves or grass. Please place branches on the tree border by 7 a.m. on Monday with all cut ends facing in one direction.
Brush, grass, leaves, and other garden material can also be taken to the Recycling Center on River Road. The last brush pickup will be the week of October 8, 2018.
Weather permitting-leaves will be picked up in the City of Columbus the weeks of October 8 through November 16, 2018. Place leaves in the curb no later than Monday 7:00 a.m. before your scheduled week of pickup. Do not put leaves around posts, guide wires, etc. Do not park cars by leaf piles. Schedule may be subject to change due to weather conditions. A schedule map is available at the Public Works office at 229 East School Street, or call 920-623-5908. You can also download a copy of the leaf pickup map by clicking the link below.
Sec. 82-36. Brush, leaves and grass.
(a) Brush limbs shall be piled with all cut ends facing in 1 direction. Tree limbs shall be 8 inches in diameter or less and a maximum of 10 feet in length. Tree branch clumps shall be cut narrow enough to go through an 18-inch chipper chute. Twigs and branches less than one inch in diameter, and grass clippings must be taken to the recycling center, unless a city wide yard clean up is being held as described in subsection (d). Brush shall be free of dirt, roots, and not have any metal or nails.
(b) Leaves will only be picked up in the fall of the year, or as described in (d), and shall otherwise be taken to the recycling center. Leaves are to be kept free of stones, garden waste, sticks and garbage.
(c) Brush, bags or leaves shall be placed in the terrace area between the curb and the sidewalk away from telephone poles, guide wires and trees and shall not be left in the street or vehicle right of way. If the terrace area does not allow enough room between the curb and the sidewalk, then brush, bags or leaves shall be placed on the other side of the sidewalk out of the way of pedestrian traffic.
(d) A citywide yard cleanup to pick up grass clippings, leaves and garden waste may be held in the spring and fall of each year at the discretion of the director of public works. Yard waste shall be placed in biodegradable bags or containers of 30 gallons or less, not to exceed 50 pounds per container. Bags or containers placed in the terrace area between the curb and the sidewalk by 7 a.m. on the scheduled cleanup day will be picked up. no plastic bags will be picked up.
(e) The department of public works allots approximately 15 minutes of work by a two person crew for brush removal at each residence. If the estimated amount of work needed to remove debris from the terrace exceeds 15 minutes the resident or property owner will be notified by the director of public works of their options to remove the remaining brush, containers, leaves or grass.
(Code 1978, § 11.08(6); Ord. No. 611-06, § 1, 5-16-06)
The City of Columbus Recycling Center is only accessible to City of Columbus residents during open hours of operation. Only city residents will be permitted to dispose of the items listed below. We now accept glass, plastic or cardboard materials in a designated dumpster at the recycling center. Glass, plastic and cardboard materials can also be picked up curbside on your scheduled garbage day.
- Leaves, yard waste, grass clippings, brush, oil and vehicle batteries
- Washers, dryers, stoves and dishwashers require a $15 fee paid at City Hall prior to disposal
- Refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners require a $30 fee paid at City Hall prior to disposal
Columbia County Recycling Center is open all year, call the center at 608-742-6651 for location and hours.
If you have any questions please call the Department of Public Works at 920-623-5908