Temporary DPW Office Closures
The Columbus Public Works Department, working together with the citizens of Columbus, to safely and efficiently develop, maintain and improve our city’s infrastructure, natural resources and community services.
Who We Are
The Streets/Parks/Forestry Division is responsible for all infrastructure maintenance, park maintenance, and improvements and has employees assigned to its ranks but is often augmented by temporary seasonal staff and other staff as the need arises.
The Wastewater Division is responsible for all sanitary sewer mains, lift stations, and the Wastewater Treatment Facility.
Hillside Cemetery is owned by the City of Columbus and is operated by the Hillside Cemetery Board of Directors with maintenance and repair responsibilities being delegated to Public Works Department employees.
Note: As per changes in City policy, Columbus Public Works Department will no longer be providing salt, sand, gravel, or black top for resident’s personal use.
New Construction Permit Requirements:
For any project that constructs a new principal building on a lot the follow items will be needed:
- Zoning Certificate of Compliance or Conditional Use Permit - This would grant approval to build the project as approved. (114-50 or 114-28)
- Reviewed by Zoning Administrator
- Building Permit- This would grant approvals to construct the project
- Reviewed by Building Inspector
- Water and Electrical Connection – Approve utility connections for water and electric service
- Reviewed by Water and Light
- Driveway permit - Approval for driveway connection to ROW
- Reviewed by DPW
- Sanitary Permit and Connection- Approval to connect to sanitary sewer
- Reviewed by Building Inspector and Inspected by WWTP operator
- Building Addresses
- Issued by the Clerk
- Note some lots may be issued addresses at the time of subdivision plat