ONLINE PAYMENTS AVAILABLE
Payment Services Network is the City’s online payment provider. Pay for building permits, pet licenses, and more online!
2020 MARKET VALUATION IN PROGRESS
CITY OF COLUMBUS - 2020 BUDGET
The City has multiple funds that it creates budgets for each year and those funds are mainly driven by specific needs or functions. Council and staff have worked hard to bring a proposed 2020 budget forward. The public hearing was held on December 2, 2019 at which time the Council reviewed and adopted the 2020 budget.
COLUMBIA COUNTY WEBSITE UPDATED
Recently Columbia County updated their website so the process, while similar, to view your property’s information has changed slightly. See below for a set of step by step instructions. If you have any questions on how to get to the site or if a step isn’t working, please don’t hesitate to call me or send me an email.
SEWER RATE STUDY RESULTS
The Sewer Utility completed a review of its current rates in October of 2017. Rates for the Sewer Utility have not changed since 2008 in the City. With increased costs of maintenance, operations and the larger projects being done each year to replace older infrastructure the Utility reviews its rates to determine if it is making ends meet for the day to day operations and debt payments of the Utility. What the study found was that a 4% rate increase would be recommended for users of the system.
Below is a cover letter which gives an overview of the recommendations coming from the City’s audit firm and then the full rate study for further information on how the change was arrived at. A chart of how the rates would change is also shown below under "Sewer Utility - Proposed 2018 Rates". The Council has reviewed this with the audit firm who completed the study and will be taking this to the regular meeting of the Council on February 20th to consider action.
Occasionally city staff are unavailable to issue work permits, please refer to the below link for alternate locations - remember to call locations first for availability! WORK PERMIT NOTICE
UNCLAIMED PROPERTY LIST
SPECIAL ASSESSMENTS - ADOPTED GUIDELINES
At this time special assessments on any city project can be paid in basically two ways - in full before the tax roll information is due to the Columbia County Treasurer’s office or by installments. Those installments are based on the amount of special assessments a property receives.
$1.00 TO $2,000.00 – 5 YEAR REPAYMENT
$2,001.00 TO $6,999.00 – 10 YEAR REPAYMENT
$7,000.00 TO $9,999.00 – 15 YEAR REPAYMENT
$10,000.00 AND OVER – 20 YEAR REPAYMENT
The interest rate is based on the interest rate the City is paying back on the debt/loan it has taken out to do a project plus 1%. A property owner can make payments throughout the year as well to lessen the amount being placed on the tax bill or payoff a current year’s assessment so nothing appears on the tax bill.
For more questions, please feel free to email me.
Tax bills should be in the mail this week. The newsletter below has office hours for tax collections at City Hall and other options availalbe to make your tax payments. For your added convenience remember FARMERS & MERCHANTS UNION BANK can take your payment - right at the drive through! You don’t even need to get out of your car! They do ask that you have your tax bill or stubb with your check to ensure they apply your payment correctly.
Dog licenses should be paid by separate check - fees remain the same at $10 for spayed or neutered and $15 if they are not. State law requires dogs to be licensed by April 1st after that date a $5 per dog penalty is applied.
Per State Statute the City can only accept tax payments in the months of December and January. If you are paying your taxes after January 31st all payments would go to the County Treasurer at:
Columbia County Treasurer
PO Box 198
Portage, WI 53901 - 0198
How Columbus Compares to Other Communities
City of Columbus - Adopted Budgets & Tax Information
- CITY OF COLUMBUS 2019 BUDGET EXECUTIVE SUMMARY FINAL 12-4-18
- 2019 CITY OF COLUMBUS ADOPTED BUDGET
- 2018 CITY BUDGET Version Dtd 11.15.17
- 2017 ADOPTED - CITY OF COLUMBUS BUDGET - PART 1
- 2017 ADOPTED - CITY OF COLUMBUS BUDGET - PART 2
- Property Owners Guide to Taxes and Assessments (PDF)
- Tax Information for Escrow Companies (PDF)
City of Columbus & Sewer Utility Audit
- 2018 - CITY OF COLUMBUS FINANCIAL STATEMENT - HIGHLIGHTS
- 2018 - CITY OF COLUMBUS FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- 2018 Sewer Utility Financial Statement - Highlights
- Columbus Sewer Utility 2018 Financial Statement
- 2017 CITY OF COLUMBUS FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- 2017 PUBLIC SEWER UTILITY FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- Columbus, City 2016 FS
- Columbus Water and Light Utilities FS 2016
- Columbus, City TIF No. 4 FS 2016
- Columbus, City TIF No. 3 FS 2016
- 2016 - Columbus Sewer Utility 2016 FS-Final
- Columbus Sewer Utility - Financial Statements - Final - 2015
- Columbus, City 2015 Financial Statement
- Columbus, City Financial Statement Highlights 2015
- Columbus, Sewer Utility 2015 - Financial Highlights
- 2014 CITY AUDIT - FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
- 2014 CITY OF COLUMBUS AUDIT
- 2014 SEWER AUDIT - FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
- 2014 SEWER AUDIT