City Treasurer & Finance Department
ONLINE PAYMENTS AVAILABLE
Payment Services Network is the City’s online payment provider. Pay for building permits, property taxes, and more online!
CITY OF COLUMBUS BUDGET
The City has multiple funds that it creates budgets for each year and those funds are mainly driven by specific needs or functions. Council and staff work hard to bring a proposed budget forward.
Occasionally city staff are unavailable to issue work permits, please refer to the below link for alternate locations - remember to call locations first for availability!
UNCLAIMED PROPERTY LIST
The following have unclaimed property. If you are one of those the list or can provide updated information, please email the Treasurer/Finance Director.
SPECIAL ASSESSMENTS - ADOPTED GUIDELINES
At this time special assessments on any city project can be paid in basically two ways - in full before the tax roll information is due to the Columbia County Treasurer’s office or by installments. Those installments are based on the amount of special assessments a property receives.
- $1.00 to $2,000.00 - 5-year repayment
- $2,001.00 to $6,999.00 - 10-year repayment
- $7,000.00 to $9,999.00 - 15-year repayment
- $10,000.00 and over - 20-year repayment
The interest rate is based on the interest rate the City is paying back on the debt/loan it has taken out to do a project plus 1%. A property owner can make payments throughout the year as well to lessen the amount being placed on the tax bill or payoff a current year’s assessment, so nothing appears on the tax bill.
For more questions, please feel free to email the Treasurer/Finance Director.
City of Columbus does not accept the second installment of real estate taxes. Please follow the instructions on the back of the green postcard you received form the Columbia County Treasurer.
Please pay for dog licenses with a separate check or cash - fees are $15 for spayed or neutered and $30 if they are not. State law requires dogs to be licensed by April 1st - after that date a $15 per dog penalty is applied.
Per State Statute the City can only accept tax payments in the months of December and January. If you are paying your taxes after January 31st all payments would go to the County Treasurer at:
Columbia County Treasurer
PO Box 198
Portage, WI 53901 - 0198
Reminder - All dogs 5 months or older are required to be licensed as per Section No. 14-61(a) of the City Code. Avoid the late fee and get your dog licensed by April 1st! Read on...
How Columbus Compares to Other Communities
City of Columbus - Adopted Budgets & Tax Information
- CITY OF COLUMBUS 2019 BUDGET EXECUTIVE SUMMARY FINAL 12-4-18
- 2019 CITY OF COLUMBUS ADOPTED BUDGET
- 2018 CITY BUDGET Version Dtd 11.15.17
- 2017 ADOPTED - CITY OF COLUMBUS BUDGET - PART 1
- 2017 ADOPTED - CITY OF COLUMBUS BUDGET - PART 2
- Property Owners Guide to Taxes and Assessments (PDF)
- Tax Information for Escrow Companies (PDF)
City of Columbus & Sewer Utility Audit
- 2018 - CITY OF COLUMBUS FINANCIAL STATEMENT - HIGHLIGHTS
- 2018 - CITY OF COLUMBUS FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- 2018 Sewer Utility Financial Statement - Highlights
- Columbus Sewer Utility 2018 Financial Statement
- 2017 CITY OF COLUMBUS FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- 2017 PUBLIC SEWER UTILITY FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- Columbus, City 2016 FS
- Columbus Water and Light Utilities FS 2016
- Columbus, City TIF No. 4 FS 2016
- Columbus, City TIF No. 3 FS 2016
- 2016 - Columbus Sewer Utility 2016 FS-Final
- Columbus Sewer Utility - Financial Statements - Final - 2015
- Columbus, City 2015 Financial Statement
- Columbus, City Financial Statement Highlights 2015
- Columbus, Sewer Utility 2015 - Financial Highlights
- 2014 CITY AUDIT - FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
- 2014 CITY OF COLUMBUS AUDIT
- 2014 SEWER AUDIT - FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
- 2014 SEWER AUDIT